Friday, June 09, 2006

Report: Yacht Delivery - Part 1 - "The Boat Journey"

On Monday, May 29th 2006, I got a call from an old friend -- Captain Roy -- who said he had a "delivery" job to move a sailboat from San Francisco, CA to Anacortes, WA in advance of the owner's family vacation sailing around the San Juan Islands later in the month. ”The weather service is predicting a window of perfect weather with strong South Westerly winds. I've been looking at your website and thought I'd invite you to go along as part of the crew. Are you interested?" I explained that while I have had some experience on small sailboats, I have little experience on "yachts"... and none on the Pacific Ocean. "Don't worry," he replied, "An experienced friend of the owner will be on the crew and so will (our mutual friend) Jen. Come on... It'll be a fun adventure!" "Okay," I said. "I'm in!" Early Tuesday morning he picked me up, we met Jen at the airport and flew to San Francisco. After a brief meeting with the owner, we met his friend Tom, rigged and provisioned the boat and got under way. We got hammered by rough seas and bad weather the first night out, but the journey settled down after that. Except, of course, for the fact that we had no wind the entire time and had to motor for 900 miles -- 5 days -- with nothing much to do except stay awake, stay in the boat, not hit anything and keep an eye on the combination of radar, GPS navigation and auto-pilot. This iMovie short, set to a perfect seafaring song by Hobo Jim will give you an overview of our “Yacht Delivery Boat Journey.”


No comments: