Monday, November 23, 2009

Hook Up And Head Out!

Note: This is an excerpt from my contributions to the SP Kennel Dog Log


A number of you have asked about "hooking up the dogs" so we're going to bring you a series of posts about it.

For starters, we thought it would be a good idea to show you the process from start to finish from a fixed viewpoint. To do this, I set up a camera in the Kennel's exit chute and started it rolling. The problem is that it took about 16 minutes to hook up 16 dogs, and that's just too much video to ask anybody to sit through.

In the editing process I tried speeding up the video and, frankly, I think it got more interesting the faster I pushed it. Ending up at 8-times normal speed, I think it turned out to be pretty entertaining too. It all starts out so orderly as the first few dogs are hooked up, but the more dogs there are and the closer it gets to them heading out… Well, you'll just have to see for yourself.

While that camera was running, I walked out in the field to shoot the dogs on the run… Always fun to watch. I've included that at normal speed at the end, and I think you'll find it provides some helpful "slow down" time from an otherwise hectic, chaotic stretch of video.

With no further ado, here's what Aliy and Allen do every day and sometimes twice a day. We invite you to buckle up and hang on!

No comments: