Friday, June 25, 2010

Driving The "Haul Road"

In the previous few posts, I've tried to give you a sense of what it's like to drive the James W. Dalton Highway -- "The Haul Road" -- from north of Fairbanks all the way up to Prudhoe Bay. The truth is, it's impossible to do justice to the 400+ miles of "out there" road, but in those posts and this "start to finish" video I've given it my best shot.

Using some of the many hundreds of shots from my "DashCam" -- taken once each minute along the entire route -- along with some narrative video and a few other still photos, here's a ten minute overview. Like I said, it's impossible to truly represent this amazing drive, but I hope this will give you some sense of it.

For those of you who are "Ice Road Trucker" fans, this will at least give you a start-to-finish perspective on what it's like for Lisa and her colleagues in the summer. It's obviously way, way more difficult in winter! Thanks to my friend Rob who rode along and shared the experience! Thanks also to Alaska's Hobo Jim for a couple of perfect tunes!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome!!!!