Saturday, August 06, 2011

"Rainforest, Rain!"

(Note: You may have to say the title of this post out loud to get my little joke. Be sure to emphasize the "rain" parts both times!)

Aptly, it rained for my entire drive west and south through the Olympic Peninsula rainforests. I did make a quick stop at Klaloch Beach for a photo, however, before pushing on down to a little campground I like in Hoquiam, WA.


Hoquiam is one of those "dead" old industrial towns that I find so interesting. Once a major logging center and port, it's now a somewhat frayed home to about 9,000 people. I wandered up and down the "main" streets until I found the saddest looking diner I could and went in for lunch. It felt kind of like going to the pound and picking out the shabbiest dog in the joint. Somehow you just gotta do it. Not surprisingly, however, the place and its people had the best personality, a fine cup of chowder and a pretty damn good BLT!

I'm going to stay here for another day then continue south along the coast to somewhere around the Oregon border.

No comments: