Monday, April 07, 2014

US Hwy 70: Carolina Rain

After enjoying beautiful weather all weekend, I woke up to a solid, steady and cold rain. Happy had her breakfast and took care of business on the shortest possible walk, then put her paws on the door to her truck lair and gave me a look that clearly said, “Hurry up! I want to go back to bed!”

Although I made quick, efficient work of getting my rig ready to roll, I was soaking wet when I climbed into the driver’s seat. Happy was already curled up with a paw over her face, barely acknowledging me with one raised eyelid. I laughed out lout, which earned me a single thump of her tail.

Heavy rain precluded me from taking any road photos, but I can describe US70 west of Chapel Hill, NC, as a consistently good two- or four-lane affair as it rolls through a variety of small towns.

I stopped for lunch just past Salisbury, at a classic “family restaurant” and had a tasty bowl of spaghetti that only such a place can offer. Lunch is often my big meal of the day!

This is probably a good time to point out one challenge of towing a trailer: Parking. Although my rig is about as small as it could be, it’s still too big to park on most small-town streets or in small parking lots. Accordingly, I often stop at rural family restaurants or truck stops, and that suits me just fine!



After lunch, I drove just a bit farther west to Statesville where I've camped for the night. The rain has let up a bit, so Happy got a good walk before settling back down for her afternoon nap. What a life!

Click here to see exactly where I am posting this from on Google Maps.

No comments: