Tuesday, May 27, 2014

US Hwy 70: Texas Two-Stint - Part 2

My last 100 miles across the Texas panhandle stayed true to form, a virtually featureless landscape of crops as far and wide as the eye can see. Here's as wide a photo as my dash cam can take:



I passed through a half-dozen small towns, one with a particularly amusing name: Earth, pop. 1065.



I wrapped up my "Texas Two-Stint" with an almost unnoticeable border crossing into New Mexico. I may have missed something worth seeing in the Texas panhandle, but I honestly doubt it. I mean no disrespect to the great state of Texas, but I'm glad to have that long slog of nothing behind me.

Once into New Mexico -- surprise! -- the landscape remained much the same, though I found myself thankful for a difference in flora on opposite sides of the road and for the company of a rail line.



That continued for a hundred miles as I cruised across what I believe is called the high plains. Finally, there was a bit of elevation change as I descended into the veritable oasis of Roswell, NM.



I've stopped in Roswell where I plan to visit with my alien kin and explore the local area... Stay tuned!

Click here to see exactly where I am posting this from on Google Maps.

1 comment:

LynneD said...

Ah, land of the aliens and my mother - from Roswell, it actually gets much prettier - especially after Texas. White Sands here you come. Now you are in my stomping grounds - Rose is glad I moved to Washington!!