Tuesday, May 06, 2014

US Hwy 70: West Tennessee

My drive across West Tennessee today was a few hours along a good but seemingly deserted two-lane. First through the remainder of the green woodlands, then across the beginning of farmland.




Every few miles I passed through small towns that are clearly struggling. I mean no disrespect to these towns, they're facing a tough cascade of issues: Young people are leaving small towns for better opportunities in the cities, the resulting loss of revenue and tax base adds up, and the dearth of new folks moving in ties long-time residents to their unsellable homesteads.



Every once in a while there's a bright spot, like this restaurant I happened past just in time for lunch. Seeing the police cars out front reassured me it would be good, despite being almost empty inside. It was indeed good, and I've added a new t-shirt to my ever-expanding collection of novelties.



I've stopped in the Memphis area, actually just across the river in Arkansas. I've got peeps in the area whom I'm looking forward to visiting, plus Happy has a gig just north of here on Monday. So, I'm going to stay here for a few days and see what's what... Stay tuned!

Click here to see exactly where I am posting this from on Google Maps.

No comments: