Saturday, July 08, 2006

Report: Joe Stratocaster

I was just wrapping up my day and getting ready for dinner when the sound of some scorching hot electric guitar licks and riffs came through my open window. At first I thought one of my neighbors must have been sharing his favorite Jimi Hendrix with us, but I quickly got the sense that the music was live. I stuck my head out the window overlooking the alley and realized that the sound was coming from the back of the Pig ‘N Whistle Bar & Grill three doors down. Figuring there must be a band playing a Saturday night gig at the Pig, I grabbed my camera and went to check it out. What I found was a guy -- by himself -- sitting on an overturned plastic bucket outside the kitchen door, absolutely wailing on a beautiful Stratocaster. I listened in awe for a few minutes until he stopped playing and looked up at me. I knew this was something special to share, so I said: “I want to put you in my next podcast. If you give me three minutes of your best stuff, I’ll give you ten bucks cash money, I’ll put you on the web and I’ll burn you a DVD of your jam.” His reply was simply, “That sounds like a deal.” So, I fired up the camera and he scorched the guitar. While the music in this Macgellan Report may not be everyone’s “cup of tea”, I’m pretty sure you will all appreciate the mastery... and I’m almost certain you will find the ending a bit of a mystery.

No comments: