Saturday, October 21, 2006

Logbook: Publish Error

Publisherror2Late last night, after celebrating my great day of learning, I got back to my room and went on-line to finish the updates to this website and “publish” the domain. For those of you who don’t know about these things, iWeb is a fabulous Mac program that lets one create websites like this one without having to know anything about HTML code, Java, CSS, RSS or any other techie stuff. Like most Mac programs, you just have fun using an intuitive, graphic interface to create whatever you want. When the site looks like you want it to, you just press the “Publish” button and iWeb does everything else. For months, I have been using iWeb to develop this site and have never had any problem.

Then, last thing last night when I pushed the “Publish” button, I got the error you see above. Like any experienced Mac user, I clicked “OK” and hit “Publish” again. Same error. For the briefest moment, a sense of dread and terror shot through me. Could this mean that my iWeb was busted? Could my website be busted? Had my Mac let me down? Then, again like any experienced Mac user, I took a moment, took a deep breath and said to myself, “It can’t be my Mac’s fault. It’s never my Mac’s fault!” Given the late hour, I decided to get some sleep and try again in the morning. To my dismay, I got the same error this morning. A little bit of Googling led me to some user comments that even when everything else -- like browsing, mail, etc. -- may work fine, some of the more complicated internet operations -- like how iWeb publishes my domain to the Mac servers -- may not work. Something about incompatible or unsupported “proxies.”

Well, I don’t know about tech stuff like that. I am, after all, a Mac user! Now assuming that the problem was with the hotel’s server and not with my Mac, I packed up my beloved Macbook Pro and hit the streets of Monterrey in search of alternative internet connections. After trying three nearby hotels that have wi-fi in their lobbies -- but who require you to be a guest to use it -- and three internet shops that only offer access using their machines, I was getting a little worn out and headed back to my hotel. I stopped by to talk to a bellboy whom I have discovered is the hotel’s “go to” guy for internet problems -- and who also speaks pretty good English -- and told him my sad tale of woe. He smiled and said, “It’s a proxy problem with the hotel’s server. Go to Carl’s Jr. and use their wi-fi. It is very good.” Now why didn’t I think of that? Go to one of the local burger joints and use their wi-fi! Go figure!

With some degree of incredulity, I have to admit, I walked two blocks to the nearest Carl’s Jr. and got a Diet Coke. I sat down, opened up my Mac and -- Shazaam! -- I had wi-fi! I spooled up my browser, checked the connection and was delighted to find I was on a good, stable, moderately fast internet connection. I hopefully hit the “Publish” button and was rewarded with a very agreeable result! As I write this, I am still at the Carl’s Jr. burger joint, ready to publish this update. Although I hadn’t intended to spend most of the day working around internet problems, I can’t say that the day has been a waste. I’ve learned some important and useful lessons about being on The Voyage: 1) All internet is not the same 2) Internet connection is surprisingly ubiquitous and 3) You can find wi-fi in unexpected places. The thing I already knew? Macs Rule!

No comments: