Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Natchez Trace — Collinwood, TN

Picking up where I left off in my last post... After having lunch at a family diner in the small rural town of Collinwood, TN, the weather was overcast and not encouraging for an enjoyable continuation on the Natchez Trace. I inquired at the town's "Welcome Center" about the possibility of a place to stay, and was told that the couple who own the local hardware store have two "motel rooms" available. A phone call and a walk across the street later, I'd booked myself in at the Coast To Coast Motel:




Everything you need on an expedition, right? You might be surprised to know that this establishment and its innkeepers are given complimentary mentioned in an article in the 9/13/15 edition of The Washington Post's Fall Travel Magazine. Happy and I are very well set up for the night!

Looking across the street, I noticed a well renovated and maintained old train depot. Turns out it is the town's library and museum.




Although it's much more library than museum, it has a small but interesting collection of memorabilia.



My favorite is the timetable from 1918 for the local train service. Looks to me like you had one shot a day getting into or out of town!



Having had lunch at the local family diner, I've been informed there's another restaurant "just down the road" and will give it a try for dinner. The weather is supposed to be perfect again tomorrow morning, so Happy and I will hit the road with Tupelo, MS, as our tentative goal... Stay tuned!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As someone who lived in both Collinwood and tupelo, you will definitely find Tupelo much more enjoyable... Thiers just nothing to do in Collinwood, its small and everyone knows everyone. You may think that's a good thing but in reality it just means that everyone is always in your business. Even if you don't know the person standing next to you, they know who you are and what you did last night!

Anonymous said...

So glad you enjoyed Collinwood! I grew up there. Great people!

Anonymous said...

Love the Collinwood "motel" and library.



Love the Collinwood "motel" and the library/train station.