Sunday, August 27, 2006

Logbook: St. Louis

Stlouis2Shortly after Greg left Minneapolis on Tuesday morning, I e-mailed my niece -- who is working in Rochester, MN this summer -- to see if she would be willing to make the drive up to join me for dinner. I’m delighted she agreed because we had a really nice time together, and I hope we can rendezvous again elsewhere in the world. Wednesday was a travel day with a pair of long, but very satisfactory Amtrak rides that put me in St. Louis. Thursday and Friday were “other work” days with some fine folks who offered me some very interesting conversations and rewarding interactions. Yesterday was full of St. Louis exploration -- especially culinary -- including a tour of the Anheuser Busch brewery, fried raviolis at McGurks, pizza at Imo’s and a “concrete” at Ted Drewes. According to my very gracious hosts, I can now honestly say I know the “in things” of St. Louis! Today has involved marooning my first Devil Duck -- check the map to see what that is all about -- and a variety of other Voyage-related efforts. I plan to be in St. Louis for a few days longer then head east toward Pennsylvania. Being in one place for a while has been great, but I’m starting to get the feeling of being ready to continue The Voyage of Macgellan!

No comments: