Sunday, October 25, 2009

Macgellan Update: On The AlCan Highway

Note: This is an excerpt from my contributions to the SP Kennel Dog Log

Howdy!... Macgellan here...

After three days of driving north from Seattle -- including a ridiculously long and involved inspection at the Canadian border! -- I passed through Dawson Creek, BC, this morning. While there -- after filling my fuel tank, belly and coffee thermos -- I stopped to have my picture taken at the famous Alaska Highway "Mile Zero" monument. You can see my "rig" in the background.


I am now in Fort Nelson, three hundred miles along the highway. I have been taking photos and video along the way, and I hope to wind up with something good enough to edit together for those of you who may be interested in what the road is like. For now, I will tell you that it is a generally good road, punctuated by patches of disrepair and some rather scary dives and climbs. Overall I am averaging about 50 miles per hour, a speed which seems to keep my knuckles from staying permanently white. The scenery is spectacular, but I can't really take my eyes off the road long enough to enjoy it!

I hope to reach Watson Lake tomorrow, then Whitehorse the following day. From there it should be only two more days to Fairbanks. So far the weather has been overcast but not bad, and I'm hoping my luck holds!

So, there's a brief update on my progress toward the Kennel. As we always say, "Stay tuned!"

No comments: