Friday, April 15, 2011

VoM2: Dublin, Ireland

I think it’s fair to say that I’m normally in “traveler” mode: I go where I go, see what I see, work things out on my own and fend for myself. Since my time in Ireland is short, I’ve decided to give being a “tourist” a try.

For each the past three days in Dublin, I’ve taken a “guided walking tour” around the city: a “historical” walk that was excellent and gave me my first good sense of the history of both this city in particular and the country in general; a “city highlights” walk that was superficial but okay; and a “literary walk” that would almost certainly have been more interesting if I had a clue about any of the famous writers who lived here!


I’ve also spent two days on the “hop-on/hop-off” tourist bus, seeing the sights and at least briefly checking out museums, cathedrals, parks, historical monuments, the Guinness brewery and the jail. Dublin is a very interesting city and I’ve enjoyed my time here so far. I can’t say I’ve found great food yet, but there’s plenty of good alcohol readily available.


I haven’t taken many photos, mostly because Dublin doesn’t strike me as very photogenic. It’s pretty compact, so it’s hard to get good perspective on buildings that are right in front of you. It’s also not very colorful, so there haven’t been many sweeping vistas or city panoramas that have caught my eye. Also, I have to admit, there’s only so far I’m willing to go as far as looking like a tourist!


I’ll keep my eye out for better pictures to share with you. I’ll also try to synthesize some observations that are rattling around unformed in my brain. Stay tuned!

No comments: