Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Dram: Do You Know "J"?

DoyouknowjWhile on a long walk around Gdynia today, I encountered these two ladies -- seen here walking away -- who came up to me and started speaking in rapid-fire Polish. By means of my customary helpless shrug, I informed them that I do not speak the language. (In fact, I don't even speak enough Polish to say "I don't speak Polish." So far, I only know how to say "Hello, Large, Coffee, Please, Thank You, Goodbye." Go figure!) Apparently undeterred, one of them asked me if I speak German and I replied that I speak only a little of it. Seeming to be greatly encouraged by my response, she proceeded to speak in rapid-fire German, asking me -- as best as I could reckon -- if I had seen or knew something or somebody with a name that begins with the letter "J". In my very limited German I replied that I was sorry, I didn't understand and that I don't know anything or anybody here. She then reached into her bag and pulled out a Jehovah's Witness pamphlet. For once, my complete lack of ability to understand other languages came in handy. I gave them another helpless shrug and they immediately walked away.

No comments: