Friday, August 30, 2019

SouthDakotAmericana

Driving toward Rapid City, SD, earlier this week, I took a detour into the historic town of Deadwood. I was sufficiently overwhelmed by what a sleazy tourist trap it is, however, that I didn't even stop the car and drove straight through. Accordingly, I did not post anything about my so-called "visit" there.

Leaving Rapid City this morning, I soon found myself approaching the famed "Wall Drug" as noted by countless billboard signs en route. I have been there several times over the years, but decided to stop and see if it had changed at all. It has not changed one bit, still the immense warren of shops and dining facilities, not to my liking. So, I only stayed long enough to pick up a free bumper sticker then continued on my way east.



About an hour before reaching Sioux Falls, SD, for the night, the town of Mitchell offers "The World's Only Corn Palace." I have missed the opportunity to check it out on previous road trips, so I stopped by to take a look.



I'm not sure how to describe the Corn Palace. Entry is free and a couple of long corridors offer more history of corn than even I could endure. The main feature of the building is an arena, mostly set up for basketball, with an array of very large murals made up of light and dark ears of corn.



I may have missed the point, possibly even missing a part of the facility, as I quickly exited a side door, returned to my vehicle and took my dog for a walk. I may be old and jaded about Americana at this point in my life, but my three stabs at South Dakota Americana were pretty much a bust.

No comments: