Sunday, September 22, 2019

US60: Another Unmarked Beginning

[Note: This post has been updated with new information below]

This is where US60 begins in Virginia Beach, VA, at the intersection of Pacific Avenue with 5th St.:



You wouldn't have any idea of that by looking at it, however, due to a complete lack of US60 signage at or anywhere near the intersection.

I walked for several blocks in both directions and couldn't find any indication that a major transcontinental highway started or ended here.

By now, you surely know this is a pet peeve of mine. I honestly don't understand why so few US Highways have Begin/End signage.

For our purposes, this photo and map will serve to confirm that my coast-to-end drive of US60 has officially begun.

The first US60 sign doesn't appear until several miles north.

You really have to be looking for it to see it, however, due to it being heavily overgrown by local flora.

I'm hopeful that signage will be substantially more apparent going forward, since following them is pretty much my only way of knowing that I'm on the right road.

US60 is just about the last of the transcontinental US Highways left for me to drive, and I'm looking forward to a tour through the heartland of America.

I don't have a plan for this road trip, with no real idea of what I'll see or where I'll stop.

Stay tuned!...



[UPDATE]

Apparently, there is at least a US60 "End" sign in Virginia Beach, across the bridge to the south from where the road supposedly starts. I could blame the internet, but I hold myself accountable instead. After all these years, you'd think that I would know: a) don't trust everything you read on the internet; b) look in both directions from where you think the road starts; c) do the homework before you rant!

No comments: