Tuesday, October 01, 2019

US60: Texahoma, Again!

It was already 80 degrees when I left Enid, OK, early this morning, with a strong, gusting crosswind coming from the south. Texahoma is hard to describe and, as usual, the photos don't really do it justice. There is so much wide open space out here that it boggles the mind. Some of it is green, but much of it is brown. Either way, there's not much to see and little to explore on a long drive.




Shortly after crossing into Texas, it looked like I was heading into weather. True to the old adage – "Put your back to the wind, the high is on your right, the low is on your left" – I was preparing for rain.



A few miles down the road, I saw what looked like a wall of water ahead. I pulled into a turnout just in time to be hammered by a torrential squall, the kind where you can't even see out the window. In less than a minute, the temperature dropped from 85 degrees to 65 degrees... Yikes!

After a few minutes, the rain let up to a drivable rate and I continued down the road. I passed through Amarillo because I've already stayed there more times than I care to recall. Instead, I'm spending the night little farther along my route in Canyon, TX.

I can't recall how many times I've driven across Texahoma, but I'm ready for this to be my last!

No comments: