Friday, August 03, 2012

US Hwy 30: Iowa Express

While planning my day over coffee this morning, I had the idea to make it a short-drive day and stop somewhere in the middle of Iowa to see what I might find. The road west of Cedar Rapids is really quite good -- for a change! -- and I made good time. The miles flew under me through one vast farmland and the next and the next and the next and the next and the next and the next...



Besides passing through the occasional, tiny agricultural town, the drive was punctuated by charming little roadside cemeteries carved out of corn fields, mile-long trains that make their way nearby, and slow-moving farm vehicles that require some timing and horsepower to pass.





Before I knew it, I was well beyond my intended mid-state stopping point and barreling down the road toward Iowa's western border with Nebraska on the Missouri River. I stopped for lunch in my usual kind of place, then decided to just keep cruising on down the road. I'm glad I did, because I've found a nice campground, on a lake, with an available spot in the shade for my road rig.



I've been told that there are some fine sights and noteworthy history here in Onawa, IA, so I plan to check it out over the weekend… Stay tuned!

Click here to see exactly where I am posting this from on Google Maps.

No comments: