Friday, June 06, 2014

US Hwy 191: The Start At The Southern Border

I'm in Douglas, AZ, a small town on the Mexican border. It's not much of a town, but not as sketchy as other border towns I've been to. I'm in position to start driving north on US191 in the morning.

Upon arrival, I parked in the lot of a Walmart that is literally yards from the border. I walked to the crossing where there was a steady stream of traffic -- both autos and pedestrians -- going both ways.



I spent some time searching in vain for a sign that read either "Begin" or "End" for US191, but I did find this placard going north less than a block from the gate.

I've often seen "Business" placards on my drives, usually when the main road goes by a town and an alternate goes into it.

After all this time I'm still not sure whether "Business" alternates count as being part of the official route, so I continued down the road until I saw the sign below.

It doesn't say "To 191" so I'm going to rule that I was on the actual US191 and give myself full credit for having started at the very beginning (or end) of the route.



There's no place to camp in Douglas, so Happy and I have gone "old school" and checked into a Motel 6. It's really just as well, because it's stinkin' hot outside and we're both comfy in the air conditioning. It seems that the Hapster doesn't mind AC when there's no motor noise on the roof.

I'm not even going to try exploring the town, opting instead for just taking it easy in advance of my US191 border-to-border road trip kick-off in the morning... Stay tuned!

Click here to see exactly where I am posting this from on Google Maps.

No comments: