Monday, June 02, 2014

US Hwy 70: High Desert Heat

It's been really hot here in the high desert -- the Chihuahuan Desert to be precise -- with temps topping out above 100 degrees Fahrenheit. The forecast is for more of the same, so I'm not sure how much exploration I'm going to do. There's a limit to how much heat I can take!

Happy doesn't like to be inside the camper with the air conditioning on. I'm guessing it's because the rumble on the roof sounds too much like thunder, but who knows what goes on in that head of hers. I'm not giving her much choice about it, though, making her come in often for lengthy cool-downs.

Luckily, we spent the middle of the day driving in the air conditioned truck which she loves. Heading southwest out of Alamogordo, the road was absolutely straight for over 50 miles heading toward the next set of mountains. Cruising at 55 mph I wonder how settlers did it at less than a tenth the speed!



When we finally reached the mountains, it was a long, steady slog up to the San Agustin Pass.



Cresting the pass at 5,700 feet resulted in another awesome, daunting view of more desert and mountains on the horizon. Seriously, how could you motivate yourself to walk that?!?



A long downhill roll brought me into another large, sprawling desert community called Las Cruces.



I plan to stay here just tomorrow, to visit with an old friend I haven't seen in at least 30 years. I'll let you know if we do anything besides sit inside, swap stories and sip cool drinks... Stay tuned!

Click here to see exactly where I am posting this from on Google Maps.

No comments: