Sunday, April 28, 2013

US Hwy 20: Iowa Express II

I enjoyed my time in Sioux City, but have to admit that was mostly because the weather was nice. It's an okay little mid-west town, but I didn't take a shine to it. While leaving it pretty early this morning, I crossed the "Mighty Mo" for the last time on this road trip.



Just east of Sioux City, US Hwy 20 becomes a brand new, high speed, four-lane affair that makes the miles melt away. I stopped in Fort Dodge for lunch and had a quick look at the old fort. It's pretty much the same as all the other old forts I've visited, so I didn't stay long. I'd thought about staying in town for the night, but I didn't get a good vibe and there really isn't much there.

Continuing east, I was simply amazed by the road. I have to believe it's some kind of "pork" or "make work" project, because I just can't fathom how the area or traffic can justify it!



I was also amazed by the "nothingness" of the area. Dry brown fields as far as the eye can see. There was nothing to see or do -- and no place to stay -- until I got practically across the state to Waterloo. While reviewing my day on the map, I had a funny deja vu and realized I had the same experience in reverse last summer during my US Hwy 30 cross-country road trip: Intending to stop somewhere in the middle of Iowa and not finding any reason or facilities to do so!

Looking back in the record, I found a post entitled "US Hwy 30: Iowa Express" which chronicles a day when I drove from Urbana, IA, 35 miles southeast of where I am now, to Onawa, IA, 35 miles southeast of where I started this morning. The only differences between that day and this -- besides direction of travel -- are the quality of the road and the lack of corn in the fields. You probably don't find that as amusing as I do, but that's what prompted me to title this post "Iowa Express II".

I'm going to stay here in Waterloo, IA, tomorrow to check it out... Stay tuned!

Click here to see exactly where I am posting this from on Google Maps.

No comments: