Sunday, April 21, 2013

US Hwy 20: Nicely Into Nebraska

Everything seemed to change the instant I crossed into the northwestern corner of Nebraska. First of all, the road itself changed from "fair" to downright perfect!



Even more noticeable was the stunning, still rugged yet appealing landscape. Blue skies, puffy clouds and only a gentle breeze rounded out conditions for a beautiful, peaceful drive.



It was also nice to be descending, more than a thousand feet overall. The temperature climbed into the 50s, a perfect match for the setting on my cruise control!



Rolling out onto flatter ground, the landscape and sky competed for most photogenic. Who wins?



I'm not sure why, but this is one of my favorite shots of the day. Perhaps it's the "scenery spumoni" aspect of it: Road, signs, grassland, buttes, sky, clouds and ever-present coal train rolling along. Whatever the reason, it's an example of why I just love driving these old, two-land US Highways!



I think you can see why -- after my week in Wyoming -- it was such a pleasure and relief to have this experience driving into Nebraska. I stopped mid-afternoon at a little RV park in Chadron, set up camp and enjoyed a pleasant evening. I've got some sorting out to do with my rig, and I'll check out the town… Stay tuned!

Click here to see exactly where I am posting this from on Google Maps.

No comments: